Sunday, July 22, 2012

A Spectacular Weekend





To say the weekend was exciting is an understatement! My dad arrived on a drizzly Friday afternoon, but the rain did not stop us from having a delicious dinner at Le Grenouille. Le Grenouille is the highest rated French restaurant in all of New York City! We started the evening off with a cold cucumber soup, followed by foie gras with warm peaches and hazelnuts, Dover Sole with French green beans, and a Coffee Soufflé with Crème angliase, coffee and little “biscuits” to top of the night. A lovely French Sauvignon Blanc throughout dinner, as well. It. Was. Unbelievably. Delicious. No. Words.  Food aside, the interior of the restaurant was beautiful with fresh flowers brought in everyday, waiters and “captains” as they are called waiting on you hand and foot. An unforgettable experience.
 
We started Saturday off at Ess-a-bagel, Midtown East’s best bagel joint. Delish, yet again. Along with every type of bagel sandwich combination possible, they had a selection of tofu-based “cream cheese”. Now I know what you’re think, that’s the most disgusting thing I’ve ever heard, but it was actually really good! (And my dad can attest because he tried a bit of mine). I got the walnut raisin kind. It was much lighter than normal cream cheese, but tasted just the same. Added benefit: healthy protein!

We ventured down to the World Trade Center Memorial, which was absolutely breathtaking. The entire complex is still a work in progress, but we were fortunate enough to see the North and South pools, the Survivor Tree, and the construction of the new museum and Freedom Towers. The pools sit exactly where the original towers stood, and the entire panoramic view is the perfect memorial.

(MOMA pics to come)

We then made our way back uptown to explore the Modern Museum of Art. I was pleasantly surprised to find some significant pieces of work. The works of Miro, Dali, Picasso, Warhol, and Pollock. I enjoyed the paintings on the upper floors of the museum. As we worked our way down, some of the art got a little too “modern” for me, and I will never get the minimalism concept. I love it in fashion, not in art. I know there is deeper meaning behind it all and there are different techniques used, etc. but some of the work looks like I could whip it out in 5 minutes….. Anyways, the musueum as a whole is beautifully laid out and constructed and hold some stunning works of art, weirdness and all.

Dad and I sat outside at a cute little restauarant, Pescatore, for a “linner”, if you will. Delicious red win Sangria, calamari, yellowfin tuna, tiramisu and coffee to top it all off, made it a quite lovely linner. Our day got that much better as we prepared ourselves for Cirque du Soleil’s Zarkana at Radio City Music Hall! I felt like a seven year old all over again, literllay jumping up and down as we made our way down the aisle to our perfect orchestra seats in the smack middle of the theater! This was my first Cirque show and my first time at Radio City, so I was beside myself. The jumping continued, as I sat down, still bouncing with excitement. 

 
There is absolutely no way to describe the sheer genius of this show. The acrobats, trapeze artists, and everything in between were truly remarkable. I found myself screaming at one point when two men were jump roping on top of a turning wheel. If you’ve seen a cirque show, you know what I’m talking about. If not, look online ASAP and go see one. 



Needless to say, it was a fabulous weekend. 



xx
e

No comments:

Post a Comment